Garage doors and their corresponding parts need to contain an appropriate quality to resist frequent breakdowns. And this is necessary since you would never wish to compromise with the security of your household.
Most often, the parts which experience maximum wear and tear are the garage door cable drums and cables etc.
If you too are experiencing any such troubles, you would probably be considering the garage door cable drum replacement or repair. And while the replacement of the entire system could be a costly affair, repair probably sounds a more pocket-friendly alternative.
Are you going to repair the garage door cable drums yourself? Here are some points that you need to understand well, before you proceed in the process:
Types OfGarage Door Cables Drums:
Even before you consider the garage door cable drum repair, you need to ensure the kind of device it is. There are mostly three types of garage door drums which are as follows:
- Standard Lift Cable Drum: These are almost flattened and display a raised groove for the stability of garage door. Standard lift cable drums are the standard drums for garage door sizes between 8 and 34 feet in height.
- Vertical lift Cable Drum: These have a lot taller groove in comparison to the standard ones and as the garage door follows a vertical track to open, these wind towards the shaft. These are suitable for garage doors whose size ranges between 11 and 18 feet in height.
- High Lift Cable Drum:These employ both the raised and the flat grooves and balance the garage door on horizontal and vertical tracks both. These are mostly used for garage doors whose size ranges between 9 to 19 feet.
These are the major types of garage door cable drums and you need to ensure the correct variety of this before you start working.
Common Issues Faced By Cables and Cable Drums:
What are the issues that demand garage door cable drum replacement or repair? Is it something grave?
Here are some of the issues that garage door cables and cable drums mostly face:
- Lack Of Movement: When the cable turns loose or gets detached, it prevents the door movements. Besides, when the door springs get broken or there are obstructions in the track, these too inhibit the door movement.
- Wobbly Movement:When the cables get misaligned, the garage door may wobble and slant on to a side. These issues are commonly viewed when you examine the rails.
- Fast Movement: Sometimes, a broken spring or cable results in misbalance of the garage door weight and this tends to move quicker, while opening and also while closing. No doubt, this could lead to complete failures at any time.
- Doors- Not Opening Or Closing Completely:Out-of-track cables and the ones which have a lot of tension would not be able to access a complete range of motion.
Why ‘Not’ To Repair Or Replace The Cable Drum Yourself:
Having read the troubles a couple of time and believingthat you know the exact fault well enough, you could be confident of repairing the garage door cables and cable drum yourself.
However, if you are not an experienced personnel and know nothing minus the textual aspects, it is advised not to replace or repair the cables, cable drums, openers or any other component of the garage door yourself.
Here are some of the reasons why garage door drum repair should not be attempted by an inexperienced person:
Garage Doors Contain Dangerous Torsion Springs:
Not intending to frighten, but to warn you.
Garage doors work with the help of torsion springs which contain mechanical energy while they are tightened. In case a spring beaks in between, the coils that are tightly wound, would unwind quickly and violently.
And if you are anywhere near, these could hit you straight on your eyes, arms, chest or face etc.
Garage Doors Could Accidently Fall:
In case you are attempting a garage door drum replacement, you may need to loosen some of the elements.
And in case you are not careful with all the aspects, you can never deny the complete failure of thegarage door, making it fall on you or others.
The Problems May Turn Worse:
Agreed that you know the actual cause of your garage door drum’s troubles, you might not know the actual way in which it needs to be repaired or replaced.
And while you attempt to redress the faults yourself, in order to save your time and money, the lack of proper knowledge may turn things worse, asking more of time, effort and frustration.
You May Not Possess Correct Tools:
This is one of the prominent reasons why you should not attempt garage door cable drum repair yourself.
You may have your normal tools in your home, but repair or replacement of any component of the garage door needs some specialized ones. And these are mostly found with the expert garage door servicemen, who are in regular touch with such services.
You May Use Wrong Components:
As aforementioned, garage door cable drums occur in various types and if you do not understand this, you could be in for troubles.
For instance, if you attempt to repair the cable or cable drum without considering the height of the door, this could lead to a complete failure. Or else, if you attempt to fix a wrong component, something which requires no touchup, this too could worsen the things quite a bit.
Due to all these aspects, garage door drum replacement or repair should not be attempted by an inexperienced person. No wonder, if the garage door fails completely and tends to fall, it could lead to lots of critical accidents, including loss of lives.
Therefore, if you face any kind of trouble with garage door drum or cable, call the experts of garage door repairs, rather than attempting it all yourself.
And if you are a resident of Chicago, you could readily call ‘Green Garage Door Repair’ which is prominent agency offering all kinds of repair and replacement services at the most affordable charges.
Call ‘Green Garage Door Repair’ today and get rid of all kinds of garage door troubles instantly.