Innumerable house burglaries and riots have been reported due to an inefficient garage door in the houses. And one of the weakest links of the entire system is the garage door opener.
This is one of the most important devices, which is responsible for the opening and closing of the garage door. No doubt, it should be sturdy enough and resist the attacks of burglars who target these devices to enter into your garage and in turn into your house.
All due to this, proper garage door opener inspection in a timely manner is an essential aspect, if you wish to keep your house secure enough.
But before you opt for the installation of garage door openers, it is important to know their various types. Read along the know the most prominent varieties of garage door openers:
Types of Garage Door Openers:
Garage door openers occur majorly in the following types:
- Chain Drive Openers: These consist of a chain that adjoins the motor and the trolley. Due to an all-metal system, chain-drive openers could be loud and cause vibrations. However, they are the most affordable form of openers available.
- Belt Drive Opener: Instead of a chain, these openers use rubber belts which turns the opening and closing operations quieter and smoother.
- Screw Drive Opener: This is the system where the trolley follows a threaded rod made of steel as the rod experiences rotations due to the motor. The screw-drive garage door opener maintenance tends to be lesser than the others due to lack of parts. However, the system tends to be a lot noisier than the others.
- Jackshaft Drive Openers:Installed on a side of the doors, they have a DC motor to drive the pulleys. The pulleys consist of cables which turn the torsion bar and help to open the door. Jackshaft type garage door openers are very efficient in their operation, but they are also very expensive.
- Direct Drive Openers: These are quiet in their operation and come with a stationary chain, a strong steel rail to open and close the garage door. These are highly reliable and some of them come with lifetime warranties.
- DC Powered Openers:Nothing beat the latest DC-powered garage door openers in terms of their smooth operation, quietness, speed, lightness and even their size. They occur with variable speeds and inculcate the latest technology to keep your garage secure.
Having seen the major types of garage door openers, it is important to note that proper garage door opener repair and maintenance is necessary in a timely manner if anything goes wrong.
Security Of Your Garage And House:
Besides the inspection and maintenance of garage door openers, here are some other important tips to help you keep your garage safe from thefts etc.
- Keep Your Garage Door Locked:
While you are not using it, you could keep your garage door locked for most of the times. And for this, you could get a good-quality automatic garage door opener which closes the panel(s) when not in use.
You can also get a sensor system to monitor the garage door.
- Store Your Valuables Away:
If the garage allows a bit of visibility, it’s better to keep the valuables away from sight. If they are visible to the eyes of burglars etc., they are more prone to get stolen.
Best is, get tinted windows and cover the spaces that allow visibility.
- Keep Your Service Door Locked:
The door that connects your home and garage should also be kept locked from inside. This ensures that even if the thieves steal into the garage, they do not have a chance to get into the house.
- Security Cameras:
You can use the latest digital methods to safeguard your garage. For instance, security cameras installed in your garage would ensure additional safety and prevent the burglaries.
- Keep The Windows Covered:
If you are getting garage windows along with the doors, you need to install the ones that do not allow visibility inside from the outside i.e. the tinted ones.
But if the windows are already installed, you could cover them with something that prevents people peeping inside the garage.
- Maintenance Of Garage Doors And Openers:
Besides ensuring a good garage door and garage door opener installation, it is important to keep track of the basic maintenance of these.
In lack of maintenance, garage door opener and the door itself may turn faulty and could invite lots of troubles.
- Replace The Damaged Parts:
If the opener appears faulty and runs the risk of failure, it is important to get the garage door opener repaired in time. If it does not allow repairs, better get it replaced completely.
Also, if the garage door shows signs or repair or replacement, better get it in a timely manner to avoid any uninvited events.
- Talk To The Expert Garage Door Servicemen:
Whether the matter relates to the garage door opener installation or the security of your garage, you could get the best assistance when you talk to the garage door experts.
For instance, if you are a resident of Chicago, you can get assistance from ‘Green Garage Door Repair’ which is one of the leading agencies to get all kinds of garage doors and services at the most affordable costs.
Consult the experts in a timely manner and get your garage doors installed and repaired efficiently. Better stay safewith a bit of timely maintenance, than invite the burglars with inefficient garage rooms.